My 500 Words: A Writing Challenge - Day 21

I wrote this yesterday, but my Internet was out until just now. 



Today’s prompt is about sharing a confession. Boy, do I have a story for you!

It was a sunny day and our science class was going outside to do an experiment. We needed to find leaves around the playground. I think the lesson was something about how reflection works.

Ms. Merritt handed each of us a magnifying glass. “Class, if you hold the mangnifying glass over the leaf, with the sun directly piercing through the middle of the glass, it will burn a hole in the leaf.”

We were so excited to do this! I crouched down on the pavement, careful to follow Ms. Merritt’s instructions. Soon, I saw smoke coming from the leaf. It was no longer a vibrant green leaf. Now, it had a hole in the center with black char around it.

I did it! Ms. Merritt let us take the magnifying glasses home. When Granny picked Eli and I up from school, my mind was still on the science experiment. Just before I got out of the old Caprice, affectionately known as “The Granny car,” I got an idea.

“I wonder if I could burn a hole in something else,” I thought to myself. For a few minutes, I held the magnifying glass up to the roof of the car. The sunlight hit the glass just right. Boom! A little puff of smoke started forming. Then a flame that scorched the gray material.  I blew on it, still in disbelief at what I saw. This wasn’t how I pictured it…at all. The once grey car roof now had a nice black spot where I burnt the roof of Granny’s car. Yes, you read that right!

I’m sure the conversation between Granny and me went something like this:

“Um…Granny?
Granny: What is it?
Me: I burnt a hole in the roof of your car.
Granny: You WHAT?
Me: I burnt a hole in the roof of your car. We did a science experiment at school and I just wanted to try it at home.
Granny: (rushing outside to look at the damage) "Oh, my Lord! You really did burn a hole in my car!”

I don’t remember what my punishment was, but I know I didn’t get to see or touch a magnifying glass for a very long time! Papa gave me a lecture about it, saying, “Now, Madison, what did you do that for? You know we don’t burn holes in things.”

It’s been years since that happened, and I still remember it. Granny did get the roof of her car fixed, thankfully.


The moral of the story is this: It is okay to get excited about learning something new, just don’t take it too far.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New URL

Memories Rewind: Granny’s Clothesline

Freewriting Day 19: Tangled Web