My 500 Words: A Writing Challenge - Day 31


Today's writing prompt is to write about finishing. 

Today is the last day of the writing challenge. There's nothing quite like the thrill of finishing something. I will never forget when I finished college.

On graduation day, I could hardly believe it. The day I had longed for was finally here! There were times I didn't think I'd ever finish. So many days my body hurt. So many long nights doing assignments.

When I got my diploma, nothing could wipe the smile off my face. I did it. I finished a goal I'd set for myself in spite of adversity. 

I finished not only because of my determination to complete my degree and better myself, but also because of my support system. I could not have done it without help from my Mama and Papa. They both took turns taking me back and forth to campus for classes.

Graduation was as much a victory for me as it was for them. Even on challenging days, we didn't quit. We stayed the course, and it paid off.

I celebrated with my family afterwards. I did something that a lot of people don't do. I wanted to finish my degree program in four years, but I wasn't physically able to do many classes when I first started. It took me five years to finish. My mom always said, "All you've got is time." She was right.

Had I finished in four years, I wouldn't have grown in the area of graphic design and published an awesome magazine that I still get compliments on today. Had I finished in four years, I wouldn't have grown as much as a person. I learned some valuable lessons in patience during that time. 

I learned not to rush through life. I learned to embrace the season I am in. And perhaps the most valuable lesson of all: I learned the true meaning behind a slogan my high school has... "It's not how you start that matters. It's how you finish."  

No one knows the extent of my physical struggles and pain at the beginning of college, but I finished STRONG. I finished fourth in my class. 

I don't know what you are struggling to finish. Don't let your circumstances overtake you. Rise up! Whether you realize it or not, you have the strength within to finish your course with joy!
My Signature

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memories Rewind: Granny’s Clothesline

New URL

Freewriting Day 19: Tangled Web