My 500 Words: A Writing Challenge - Day 30



Today's writing prompt is to write about innocence. Write about childhood.  Write about ignorance.
Innocence is playing outside until dark.

Innocence is getting snow cones at the Tropical Sno place that was only open in the summer. I loved the green apple! No one's snow cones have ever compared to these.

When I think about innocence, a picture of my niece and nephews faces pops into my head. Their days consist of playing with cars and big rigs, making special deliveries...and often pestering their little sister who just wants to be close to them.

Innocence is not knowing about violence. My niece and nephews don't fully grasp how chaotic this world is, and I am thankful. They need to be kids.

Oh, how I wish I could go back to the days where every problem was solved with a game of rock, paper scissors. 

I remember getting home from school and having a Nutty Buddy that my Papa always kept for us. Childhood for me meant exploring the world around me on the four wheeler. We didn't have to worry about anyone trying to grab us. It was just us out in the open air with the crickets providing the background sounds.

Innocence is waiting for the ice cream truck to come by my aunt's house in the summer.  

Childhood dreams were crazy and fun. One day you'd want to be Superman and the next might be a policeman. Part of the greatness of being innocent is a vivid imagination. 

Things were so simple then. Sliding on the sliding slide was what Georgia summers were made of. Tea parties, painting my nails every color of the rainbow, stuffing my mouth with way too many mini Snickers candies at Memaw and Granddaddy's, impromptu concerts in the living room with my cousins...

Swinging on the swings at the elementary school and twisting it around and around until one of my friends threw up....

There were no rules... other than respect your elders, be kind, and treat others like you want to be treated.  

They say ignorance is bliss, and my childhood was great because I didn't know so many things.

I didn't know what it meant to hate. I loved everyone, period. 

In the words of Lee Anne Womack "I hope you never lose your sense of wonderYou get your fill to eat but always keep that hunger."

Just because time has passed doesn't mean you have to lose that spark you had when you were a child. Keep dreaming! Keep reaching for the stars. Don't let the cares of this life steal your joy. YOU were made for more! Don't settle for less.


If you are in a funk, do what scares you. Get out of your comfort zone! That child within you says, "What are you waiting for?!? GO FOR IT!

My Signature

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New URL

Memories Rewind: Granny’s Clothesline

Freewriting Day 19: Tangled Web