A Letter to my College Self

Dear Madison,

You are embarking on one of the greatest times of your life. Many will try to discourage you from attending a small college. They say you have many more options, and it’s true. There are many colleges to choose from, but you have to do what’s right for you.

You will form lasting friendships over your love of writing. You will push through many days of physical pain, proving to yourself and others that NOTHING is impossible if you just try.

Even though you want to finish your degree program in four years, it will take a little longer. But remember, preparation time is never wasted time. This last year will prepare you for your career in ways you never imagined. You will be stretched by creative assignments, even amazing yourself at the work you’ve produced.

Don’t worry about the financial aspect of college. It will all be taken care of. You studied and applied yourself throughout high school and it paid off. Scholarships with your name on them will come rolling in on Awards Day at your high school. Even for students with loans, there are several companies like Earnest that offer student loan refinancing help.

You are at college to learn, but don’t forget to have fun. Take time to go to events on campus. Watch a play. Go to a book signing. Do things you wouldn’t normally do. You might be surprised at how much you enjoy yourself.

One of the biggest blessings in my college experience was my internships. I learned so much about life and how the things we do really matter when the magazine got shut down for copyright issues. It was a mistake that could have been easily corrected by the editor.

An online internship with an independently owned publishing company in New York led me to a lifelong friendship that I will forever cherish. Sure, I learned about editing manuscripts – and how much I didn’t know – creating ebooks and how to publish a book on Kindle, but I learned how to apply what I’d studied for years in college. It was so neat to actually USE my communication skills to make a difference!

My Signature

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New URL

Memories Rewind: Granny’s Clothesline

Freewriting Day 19: Tangled Web