My 500 Words: A Writing Challenge - Day 13

Today's prompt said to describe my day in an interesting way.



I woke up after having struggle with my back during the night. Those feelings subsided and I got ready to see a friend. This is a friend I don't see on a regular basis, but we joined forces to replace some bad things in the world with positivity.

Then, I submerged my mind in a teaching on YouTube and took notes, determined to not let the busyness of life keep me from doing what I need to do.

One of the most remarkable things in my day wasn't one moment, but a story of hope when it seemed like all hope was gone. I couldn't stop reading about this man's life. I flipped page after page, completely in awe of what I read. Each moment seemed more miraculous than the last. It was a powerful story of redemption in spite of fear's grip guiding him down a road of ultimate destruction. 

Interspersed in those moments of deep thought and reflection were moments of silliness and fun. Popcorn and frozen yogurt were in abundance, along with innocent laughter and million-dollar smiles.

My nephews tried in vain to play with their wooden train set. But their little sister was a destroyer, crawling toward the tiny colorful trains as fast as lighting. "No, MaKensie, NO!" they shouted as she plucked the trains off the track. 

Hoping to distract her, I put various baby toys in front of her saying, "Look, here's a purple duck!" She didn't even turn around. She was on a mission, the wooden train track was the object of her desire.

Over and over, she moved trains and interrupted the boys' playtime.  

Finally, Gram stepped in. Three wooden stools became a barrier. Surely, they would stop a baby from derailing the wooden trains. They were loaded with cargo that must be delivered today. "Trains never stop," according to Mason.

MaKensie looked at the barrier. Her mom said she always finds a way to get where and what she wants.  "How can I get to those trains," she wondered. Could she do it? At last, she was left to look at them from the other side.

But wait! In a moment of brilliance, MaKensie discovered that she could crawl across the black iron leg to get to the trains. The boys were oblivious to what was happening right under their noses.

MaKensie's hand was already closing in on an unsuspecting train. "I'm going to play with you!" she said.

Bryson wailed, "No, MaKensie!" How hard was it to play around here?!

Gram plucked her up and let her play at the train activity table with secret drawers and shiny objects...on the other side of the kitchen. 

Finally. The boys were able to play trains in peace.

______________________________________________________

As the sun set on a night of fun, with the boys tucked safely beneath the covers, they were lost in the world of horses and kids known as Horseland. Soon, their eyes would close and they would drift off to dream land until morning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freewriting Day 19: Tangled Web

Memories Rewind: Laughing in the Night

Advocating for Another: Inside the Fishbowl