My 500 Words: A Writing Challenge - Day 11



Today's prompt involves persuasion.


Aching joints, fatigue, swelling, weight gain. These all sound familiar, right? These things are all linked to one thing: Eating unhealthy foods.

All food isn't bad. It's okay to have some sweets in moderation, but there will come a time when you will have to choose between unhealthy foods or a healthy body.

A tip I always tell people is to take baby steps toward healthy living and better food choices. You are not going to change overnight.

One of the first changes I made was eating less junk food. It took awhile to completely switch, but with time and consistency, I did it. The key to beating junk food cravings is to not keep it within arm's reach. If you don't buy it, it won't be available for you to grab when hunger strikes.

If you took the time to educate yourself on all the chemicals that are in junk food and fast food, you would be much less likely to eat it. I used to LOVE Snicker bars, but I had to quit eating them when I got braces because of the sticky caramel. 

If you love sweets, the first step is to limit your portion size. Then, start swapping out sweets for different fruits. Fruits are good because they contain natural sugars.

Another very unhealthy thing is sodas. They have way too much sugar in them and other junk that is not good for you. Growing up, our parents didn't really understand how bad sodas were for you. We didn't have access to all the information we do now. So, yes, growing up I loved Coke and Mountain Dew. 

After I got older, I drank sweet tea with nearly every meal. and a soda every now and then. I never drank water. Now I drink it more than anything else. If you are like most people and can't stand the taste of plain water, add some flavor to it! You can do that with flavor packets or fresh fruit. 

If you are used to drinking sodas, ease yourself into drinking more water. It will take time for your body to adjust to the change.

Finally, I stopped eating so much bread. I LOVED the breadsticks at Olive Garden and the cheese biscuits at Red Lobster. What I didn't know is bread doesn't have any nutritional value. It is just empty calories that fills you up. Sure, it tastes good. I do eat it occasionally if I want it.

 I learned what foods I should eat so my body can be its best. I don't always make healthy choices, but I have noticed major differences in the way my body feels when I eat the wrong foods. I have more fatigue and swelling in different parts of my body. For me, eating healthy is not part of a fad. I do it because it makes me feel better overall. Now I know better, so I choose to eat better.

I encourage you to try some of my suggestions. When you stop eating sugar and junk food for a while, you will see that you don't want it as much. Today can be the first step to a healthier you! Even if you try one thing I've mentioned, your body will thank you!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memories Rewind: Granny’s Clothesline

New URL

Freewriting Day 19: Tangled Web