Memories Rewind: Ice Cream Truck

Summer brings with it the anticipation of many things-no school, time to do whatever we want, and fun in the sun. It also brings tasty treats. Treats like Brown Cow chocolate bars, orange sherbet push in brightly colored wrappers, strawberry bars with chunks of fresh fruit sprinkled throughout.

It was a scorcher in the summer of 3rd grade. My brother and were at my aunt's house because she volunteered to babysit. My brother and I were sitting on the couch, entertaining the little ones with a game of Go Fish. We were deep in thought, contemplating our next move. My aunt broke the silence by saying, "Does everyone have change for ice cream today?" Then we heard it-that distinctive song only played by ice cream trucks. The song beckoned us to come get some sugary goodness. Everyone barged thorough the door, clamoring to get to the truck. The jingle of quarters rang in my ear. One kid got a drumstick dipped in chocolate with vanilla ice cream. Another got an orange sherbet push up. As he pushed the wrapper to release the ice cream, it trickled down his cheek. I was dying over there!

I was next in line. The old man tried to tempt me with new flavors but I knew what I wanted. "A chocolate ice cream, please," I told him. I've always loved chocolate ice cream. I like a few others too, but he didn't offer those.

Every time I see an ice cream truck I think of those carefree summers with chocolate ice cream dripping down my hand. There's just something nostalgic about a sweet, old man taking time out of his day to put smiles on children's faces.

Comments

Jillian said…
My husband would kill me but they are too cute!!
tam7777 said…
Those were the days. Every now and then you may see a icecream truck and if you do just go right on over and get your icecream too.

Popular posts from this blog

Memories Rewind: Granny’s Clothesline

New URL

Freewriting Day 19: Tangled Web