My 500 Words: A Writing Challenge - Day 26



Today's prompt is to write about disappointment. I've been disappointed about things and people many times in my life, but I'm going to share a story that marked me.

I was in middle school. It was the time when everyone was invited for sleepovers. I invited one of my friends over and I was SO excited!

My mom bought me a new comforter that day. It was light blue with little white daisies. I made sure my room was clean. I wanted everything to be perfect for my friend!

After awhile I started asking my mom, "I wonder when Lily(name is changed) will be here? I can't wait for Lily to get here! We're going to have so much fun!"

I waited and waited. I never got a phone call. "Maybe Lily's mom is just running late." I couldn't think of another reason why she wasn't here yet.

The darkness outside my window let me know it would soon be nighttime. Still no Lily. I crawled into my bed and tucked my clean sheets around me. "I bet Lily will show up!" I said, still holding out hope that she'd show up at my house any minute.

Finally, Mama said something. She'd been quiet in the midst of my excitement and never-ending questions about Lily. "I don't think she's coming, Madison."

"What? Why would she do that? She IS coming! I know it!" I went to bed half sad and half mad. I was sad because deep down I knew my mom was right, and mad at Lily and myself for wasting all my afternoon waiting on someone who probably wasn't even thinking about me.

Lily never came for the sleepover. I was hurt. I wanted to spend time with my friend, but she didn't want to spend time with me, and I didn't know why.

I didn't let that experience break me. I still tried my best to be friends with people - even Lily. Even when you are disappointed, you have a choice. You can let it make you bitter or better. You can shut down and close off from the rest of the world, but you will be limiting yourself. 

You will be missing out on laughter and great times. Don't let one bad experience taint your view of everyone. You won't be friends with everyone, but there are people out there who will love you for who you are.

If you're wondering, I have forgiven Lily for what she did. I learned to not let my happiness be determined by someone else. 
My Signature

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New URL

Memories Rewind: Granny’s Clothesline

Freewriting Day 19: Tangled Web