My 500 Words: A Writing Challenge - Day 19




Today's prompt requires me to borrow the voice of one of my favorite authors, which would be Denise Hildreth.

She crept down the hallway, careful not to wake the kids. As she cracked the door, her heart swelled with pride. "I played a part in creating these awesome little humans," she said, smiling.

The day started out like any other day. Working in the rose garden as the sun bathed the surroundings in a glorious light. Jeanne was thankful for these quiet moments before the whole world woke up.  It's when she liked to talk to God the most.

"God? Can you hear me? I know it's been awhile since we've talked. I need your help. I don't know if I can be a mayor's wife. Many days I don't even feel like I am a good wife period. If this is really what you want Paul to do - what you want our family to do - please give me a sense of peace. Let me know this is really the right thing."

Jeanne finished pruning her roses and clipped a few dusty pink ones to put in the vase near the kitchen table.

"Mom, I'm hungry! What's for breakfast?" Jack yelled.

"I made some blueberry muffins. They are warming in the oven."

"Thanks, Mom!"

As she suspected, Lily hadn't moved one inch since she checked on her this morning. Her brown hair was tousled in every direction, but Jeanne didn't mind. Paul was already eight, so she was determined to savor Lily's babyhood every chance she got.


Finally, Lilly plodded downstairs to the kitchen, still rubbing the sleep out of her eyes. She, too, woofed down a blueberry muffin. "More!" she squealed delightfully.

After everyone was fed and dressed, it was time to take Jack to school. Jeanne loaded up the kids. When they got to the school, Jack and Lily were very popular with the teachers. 

"Hey, Paul!" one said, as they helped him cross in front of the line of cars.

"Miss, Lily! Just what have you been up to today?" Mr. Robbie asked. Mr. Robbie was the school security officer. His job was to make sure everyone stayed safe.

"I'm going to play with my dolls!" Lily replied.

"That sounds like fun! Wish I could join you," Mr. Robbie said.

"Maybe you can come over to my house one day, Mr. Robbie."
"I'd like that, Miss Lily. I'd like that very much."

Mr. Robbie had to help other kids. Jeanne and Lily pulled away from the school. They were going to an awesome place - Wilson's diner.

Jeanne stopped at Wilson's diner at least twice a week for their scrumptious scones and lemon pie, but also the company. You never know who would be at Wilson's diner, but there was always at least two people you knew.

Jeanne and Lily sat down at the table.

Not long after someone stopped to chat. "Is that Lily?" Virginia Stapleton exclaimed. "She just gets prettier and prettier each time I see her!"

"Yes, Virginia. That's Lily."

"Is everything going alright?"
"We are fine."
"Are you sure you want Paul running for mayor?" Virginia asked.

Jeanne felt a surge of strength and confidence pulsate through her. Just weeks before, she wanted to pass out every time she heard the word mayor, but this time things were different. Maybe this was God's way of letting her know everything was going to be just fine.

"Yes, I will support him in whatever he does." 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New URL

Freewriting Day 19: Tangled Web

Memories Rewind: Granny’s Clothesline