My 500 Words: A Writing Challenge - Day 10



Today's prompt is to write about writing. I love writing because it gives me a way to flex my creative muscles. The only limit is my imagination. Sure, there is a structure for writing different things, but that is only so it can be easily understood by others.

I love the fact that I can change someone's entire mood with a few words. We forget how much weight our words carry. It makes me happy to know my writing has encouraged someone.

I also love that when people read my writing, many times they don't know what I look like. They don't know my daily struggles. Whatever image they have of me is based on the picture my words created. That is a liberating feeling. 

One thing I hate about writing is writer's block. This means that you want to write but the words just won't come. It's not a good feeling, but it is something every writer has to work through. Every word isn't going to come easily. Sometimes it is hard to put into words what I am seeing in my head.

Another thing I am coming to terms with about writing and just projects in general is they will never be completely finished. There is always something you wished you had said better, but you have to be  okay with just putting your work out there and letting it speak for itself. No one is perfect. One of my college professors said, "There is no such thing as great writing, only great rewriting." I have never forgotten that.

This writing challenge has been fun because I've been able to think outside the box. It's also made me more aware of people and what they're going through. 

Another good thing about this challenge is it has given me the opportunity to process my emotions about things immediately instead of waiting a few days. It seems like my writing has been more powerful when I write from a place of emotion.

Since I've written about some emotional things this week, I've been more at peace. When I wrote about it, I stopped thinking about it. So now my mind is free to think about other things that I wouldn't have been able to before.

Our minds get so cluttered with information and feelings. We have to find a way to release those things in a healthy way. Writing is my release. It always has been.

I have had some challenges, though. It seems like most days I start off writing and it's easy. I think maybe I've already written five hundred words. But many days, I'll be about one hundred and forty words short of the goal. That is incredibly frustrating! I think to myself, "Okay, what else can I write about without losing my train of thought?" When I let go, the thoughts come and it's easy to finish. When I just write and don't think about the word count, that's when I've done some of my best writing this week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memories Rewind: Granny’s Clothesline

New URL

Freewriting Day 19: Tangled Web