My 500 Words: A Writing Challenge - Day 2



What am I thankful for today? I am thankful for the ability to move. Everyone comes to a crossroads at some point or another. A time where you keep moving forward or you stay where you are and die.

People are always trying to impose the limits they see with their eyes onto you - or me. They look at you physically and say, "You can't do this. It is not possible." Or they say, "You are not smart enough."

What they don't see is the fire inside you. That flame doesn't go out when the pressure comes. It just grows brighter, pushing you onward to greatness.

I refuse to listen to the naysayers. The only person I am in competition with is myself. How much I do or how far I go in anything isn't determined by my size or race. It is determined by my inner strength. When someone says I can't go ten steps, I will go twelve. If I stopped making progress just because someone else thought it would lead to my disaster, I would never do anything. In fact, I wouldn't be as good as I am now.

A good story to illustrate my point happened a few days ago. As I was buttoning my shirt, I was thankful I could do it myself. It reminded me of all the times I struggled learning to button things as a child.

My mom and other family members took me to occupational therapists so I could learn how to do simple tasks like button things. It took forever for me to master that skill, but through all the frustration, I did it. I also learned some valuable lessons.

I learned that things don't always come easy. I learned to never give up. Sure, I cried and wanted to give up MANY, many times, but my mom always encouraged me.

These lessons have become invaluable to me. When I am faced with a hard situation, I don't run from it. I don't shy away from the challenge. I say, "Okay, how can I overcome this?" Some times I don't know how it will all work out, but the answer is always, "One step at a time."

We all have a choice. I am celebrating every step. I may get knocked down, but I will not stay down. Celebrate where you are today. Celebrate WHO you are! All of the things that you think are your imperfections make you who you are. Keep striving! Keep fighting against the current of what people say is normal or expected. You were made for so much more than what you can see right now. 

Look negativity in the eye and laugh. Laugh because you have the upper hand. I know you may not feel like it, but you do. I challenge you to do something outside of your comfort zone today. You may be surprised at what happens! After you get over the fear, you should feel a settling. All of the butterflies may not be gone yet, but do it anyway! I promise doing something afraid is better than doing nothing at all. 

So, what are you waiting for?!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New URL

Memories Rewind: Granny’s Clothesline

Freewriting Day 19: Tangled Web