My 500 Words: A Writing Challenge - Day 1




I've committed to writing 500 words every day for 31 days as part of Jeff Goins 500 Words Challenge.


This will hold me accountable and force me to get those creative juices flowing!

Here it goes:


Someone recently asked me, "Is there a focus to your writing?" Yes. I like to share my real-life experiences in the hopes of helping others. 

I also like to ask deep questions. I've always been that way. I like to ask deep questions about life, myself, and other people. Some have said I am introspective. Others have said I am wise beyond my years, an old soul. I guess all of that is true.

I am also an observer. Many of those deep questions and conversations stem from things I've seen and heard from other people. I find that I learn more by being quiet and watching than I do trying to talk all the time. 

Some people never go past the surface level "Hey, how are you? How's the weather?" That is fine for them, but I like to dig deeper and learn more.

I have learned that pain doesn’t have to define you. Yes, it shapes your views, but you are more than what you’ve gone through. I am more than what I have gone through. I have likes and dislikes. I have passions that I am pursuing.


I share even if others don’t understand. I share to help. I share to encourage. The things I post on here to help me as much as anyone else. As I think about things and how the world has changed, writing helps me to cope.

I didn’t think writing 500 words would be this challenging. I think I’m making it harder by trying to stay on one train of thought. Writing is one art that never seems finished. You hope each sentence weaves together to create a beautiful story, one that matches the pictures in your mind, but it doesn’t always get there.

Not overnight at least. Ninety percent of you may be on the page, but what about the other ten? What are you holding back? What are you leaving unsaid? What is holding me back from showing me?

Life is raw. Sometimes there are things we don’t want to remember, much less share. But what if it could help someone? I get it, though. You have to be ready to share. You have to be comfortable. You have to be in a place of acceptance. The pain can’t be fresh. You have to give yourself time to work through the emotions before you can ever put things into words.

I’m getting to the place that other people’s opinions don’t matter as much. I’m not letting their perception of me weigh on my mind too much. Most people only see a part of me. They don’t know the whole Madison.

I’ve had to remind myself this week that it is okay to rest. It is good to reflect on your progress and what you have already accomplished. And then the next day, you forge ahead, determined to keep going. Taking little steps. Doing something good. Continuously stretching. Then, recovery. Letting your body adjust. And realizing those steps have made you stronger than you realized.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New URL

Memories Rewind: Granny’s Clothesline

Freewriting Day 19: Tangled Web