Memories Rewind: Elevator Reject

Image Credit: Elevator © Pam Roth
I look back in vacations with fond memories, some more vivid than others. It was the summer of 1996. My mom, dad, my brother, and me piled into our black Jimmy and drove off. There was an excitement in the air because we were going on vacation--escaping reality for a week. We were bound for Corpus Christi, Texas.

The ride was long and the hot leather seats didn't help any. I made myself comfortable with my favorite pillow and went to sleep. My brother was my personal travel guide. I never had to ask, "Are we there yet?" because he did every 10 minutes.

Finally, we arrived. We unloaded our bags and got settled in our room. Being kids, we explored every inch. We jumped on the beds. We had to make sure they were comfortable.

When we got tired of being inside, we headed for the beach. We let the salty air fill our nostrils while chasing each other. We made sandcastles instead of worrying about homework. We drew our names in the sand, letting everyone know WE were there. This only lasted for a few seconds before the waves erased them. They made sure to let us know we were on their territory and that they were the bosses.

We were tired from playing so we got ready for bed. We needed rest for the next day's adventures. Who am I kidding? Mama had to make us go to sleep.

The next day we were raring to go. We got up before Mama and Daddy. My brother and I finally managed to wake Mama up. I think she enjoyed those extra minutes of sleep. We got in the elevator to go to the lobby. Mama needed some coffee. It was in a Styrofoam cup with splashes of pink and green. She could hardly hold her eyes open. I thought Mama was coming straight for the elevator, so I jumped back on.

Little did I know, she wanted to stop by the gift shop. It was too late the doors were already closing. My brother raced to the elevator. He tried with all of his might to get the doors open enough so I could get out.

The elevator had different ideas. It shut its doors. I thought, "Man, what have I gotten myself into?"

I bent my knees with my hands bent, praying that the elevator would carry my safely to Floor 11. I peered up as the elevator beeped, letting me know I had reached Floor 1....Floor 2...Floor 3. This went on forever. I was holding my breath, fearing that if I let it out something might happen. Floor 8...pause. What was wrong with this elevator? I could count. 9 comes after 8! It didn't make the beeping noise. "Was it stuck?"

"If it gets stuck how will they find me?"

A few minutes passed. Floor 9...Floor 10...Floor 11. "Ding!" The elevator doors opened and I let out a sigh of relief. Evidently, the elevator didn't need me for a hostage. I guess I got on its nerves. It probably preferred an older person because he/she would sleep through the whole ordeal.

Comments

Hopsy said…
You are a such a great writer, keep up the good work!
Gwen said…
How scary being in an elevator by yourself!!! What a great story though. Thank you for sharing. :)
Jillian said…
Emotional because physical pain eventually goes away and sometimes emotional stays with you for a lifetime!
Mrs Anne said…
I think that emotional pain is worse... it can only heal with INTENTIONAL work and focus.

Physical pain heals naturally.
Ashley said…
Great post!!! I needed to hear that today!!! Yes I agree, emotional does stay with you for a lifetime... God heals either though! =)

Popular posts from this blog

Freewriting Day 19: Tangled Web

Memories Rewind: Granny’s Clothesline

Advocating for Another: Inside the Fishbowl