Do You Want 15% Off?

My mom and I decided to stop into Macy's the other day after my doctor's appointment. She needed some good walking shoes.

We go in and look around, then stop at shoes. I quickly scan the selection, seeing nothing I would like. I did, however, see a pair that I thought Mama would like. She likes "rugged" shoes, at least that's what I call them. She's not a fan of white shoes because they get dirty easily, so she tends to gravitate towards brown ones. These fit the bill perfectly: They're tan with brown edges, and they're made specifically for walking. She slipped them on and says, "Oh man, these feel good!" The sales lady had brought out two different sizes, and with mama trying both of them on, the sizes quickly became mixed up.

The sales lady came over every so often to check on us, and as she was turning to leave, she said, "Honey, are you sure you didn't see anything you liked?" I politely said, "No, I didn't."

Mama finally decided the 8.5 worked best, and we headed to the checkout. Mama asked her if she could punch in her license number because she'd left her Macy's card at home. The sales lady said, "Sure, but is your daughter 18?" She said, "She's 19." She said, "Does she have any credit? Mama said, "No." She said, "Well, you can apply for a joint account and that will let you get 25 dollars off of your purchase today AND another 15% off."

Mama turned to me to get my reaction. I thought, "That would really save Mama some money on those shoes. Merrell is very expensive. I'll do it for her."

The sales lady punched in my information, saying that Mama would get another card for this joint account and I would too.

I thought, "Is this going to bother Mama's other credit card that's she already established with Macy's?"

The sales lady quickly calms my fears saying she could tear up the card when she gets it.

"Whew, I thought. That's good"

The more I sit there, the more concerned I become. Normally signing up for a credit card wouldn't bother me, but some things I can't get because it would hinder my medical benefits.

I asked the sales lady, "Are you sure I won't get into any trouble?" By this time I am close to tears because I have conjured up many scenarios in my mind. She said, "You even get an extra 15% off on anything you purchase!" At this point, I was beginning to wonder if she must really need me to agree to this joint account so she can get extra commission.

Mama, I hissed under my breath, "This is stupid. She even put down the wrong year that I got my learner's permit!"

Mama said, "Don't worry, it's not bad."

By this time, the sales lady could visibly see that I was upset. She said, "I promise I won't do anything to get you in trouble."

Ever the sales lady, as we turning to leave, she said, "Are you sure you didn't see any shoes that you want?"

No, I said, "I just didn't see anything today." She sighed under her breath, "OK."

When we left the store I explained to Mama why I was upset. She said, "Oh, I didn't even think about that!"

Needless to say, I've officially got a Macy's card now.

Comments

BK said…
It'll be good to establish some credit for yourself! And I love Merrells!
jlc said…
Congrats on touching the toes!!!

And thanks for visiting my blog. Hope to see you around!!

Popular posts from this blog

Freewriting Day 19: Tangled Web

Advocating for Another: Inside the Fishbowl

Memories Rewind: Playhouse Parties