My 500 Words: A Writing Challenge - Day 5



The challenge for today is to write about a day I will never forget. A day that forever changed my life is the day I became an aunt.

My brother and sister-in-law were already at the hospital, waiting for their son to be born. They had just called to say her water had broke, and if I wanted to be in the delivery room to come now. 

It was a surprise that I was going to be in the delivery room because I didn't know what my brother and sister-in-law would want. She wanted her mom to be in there, so Eli wanted our mom to be in there.

I was nervous. I wanted Papa to hurry up and get to the hospital because I did not want to miss anything. It was my nephew, and I could not wait to meet him. I still remember the tank top I chose as I threw on a necklace and headed out the door.

I did not know what to expect. I had never been in the room when someone gave birth. I had only only watched the Baby Story on TLC. Many mothers on there screamed and yelled in pain. I wondered if Brittany would be like that during her labor.

We got there just before she started pushing. My sister-in-law didn't't say anything during labor. She kept her eyes closed almost the whole time. When she had a contraction, she did not make a fuss. She did not scream and yell at my brother. The whole thing was surprisingly calm. 

My mom, her mom, and my brother were at the head of the bed during the labor.

I will never forget when Mason came out. He was the most beautiful baby I'd ever seen. As my brother held him, he didn't have his eyes closed. His big eyes were open, looking all around at us and the bright lights in the hospital room.

As I held him in my arms, I was in awe of each little movement and sound. He looked so peaceful as we talked to him. I don't remember him crying much that day. He just watched everything. The funny thing is he is still that way.

I never knew I could get so attached to someone so quickly. I will never forget being at my grandparent's house when Mason was just a few days old. They were staying with my grandparents for a few weeks. I was holding Mason, and Mama said, "It's time to go." I said, "I want to stay here with Mason." 

Granddaddy said, "I've never seen somebody love a baby as much as you." I was almost in tears because I had to leave him. I just wanted to be near him.  My mom was shocked because I had never said anything like that.

She assured me Mason would be okay and Memaw and Granddaddy would help watch after him. I left that day, but a piece of my heart remained with him.

Mason has brought so much joy to my life! Being an aunt is one of the greatest jobs ever, although it does have its challenges! It is a privilege to help mold his mind and teach him about life. Thank you, Mason, for teaching me what it means to love unconditionally. As you have grown, I have, too. I am a better person because of you (and my other nephew and niece)!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New URL

Memories Rewind: Granny’s Clothesline

Freewriting Day 19: Tangled Web