Things Your Science Teacher Didn't Tell You


Today started off like any other Saturday, I got up and played around on the computer for a little while. Then, I got down to business. I have to tell a personal story about myself in a class of mine. Since my practicing partner and I had conflicting schedules, he had the bright idea to tape it through our web cams and send it through e-mail. Perfect idea, right? No getting out and meeting somewhere only to stay for a few minutes. The problem? It has to be ten minutes long, so I knew it'd be too big to send in an attachment. I spent the better part of my morning researching the best way to make the video smaller. Some places that claimed to be just what I needed at first glance actually wouldn't help at all.

I finally read somewhere to drag the video into Windows Movie Maker and re save it. I didn't even know that my computer had a Windows movie maker on it. That did the trick and I was able to send it to my partner through e-mail.

I was so happy to have mastered the web cam because up until yesterday I didn't know that I could just click and record. Most of my friends had to buy a web cam. Luckily, my computer has a built-in one.

So, I went on about my day feeling good that I'd learned something new. I need to shape up my eyebrows a bit, so I did. Let me explain something before I go any further. I have a lamp it has 4 bulbs, but I can't reach the top, so I use three and adjust as needed beside my bed to use for studying, but I can't reach it. I usually lean it over, turn it on, and then stand it upright again. Well, I had some minuscule eyebrows, so I decided that I could see better if I just let the lamp lean over. BAD IDEA.

I kept plucking away, happy with my progress. All of a sudden, I smell something burning. I thought it might be the lamp, but I really didn't think so. I kept smelling it, so I looked up. One of the bulbs was black. I thought, "No big deal, the bulb probably blowed. I'll just call Mama and get her to pick ups some on her way home." I remember seeing a hole that hadn't been there before. I remember thinking that was a little odd.

As if the lamp had a delayed reaction, it fell completely over, narrowly missing my leg. When Mama came back inside, I told her about it. She said, "It's a wonder it didn't blow up or catch on fire." She had to pry the bulb away from the inside of the shade. Evidently, if the bulb gets too close to the shade, it will burn.(You're probably laughing by now.) I had no idea that could happen. I even remember glancing up at the lamp every few minutes. This is one of the things I didn't learn in science class. We learned about combustibles, but lamp bulbs and shades didn't make that list.

Needless to say, I've been on the hunt for a new lamp today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memories Rewind: Granny’s Clothesline

New URL

Freewriting Day 19: Tangled Web