So much to say, so little Time

I had a doctor's appointment yesterday. To my surprise, one of the nurse practitioners resigned. A kind woman with fiery red hair and a British accent told me that either my doctor would see me or "Susan"(Name has been changed to protect the innocent). As she was turning to leave she said, "Susan's" got a fire to her, I think you'll like her"

I thought, "Hmm, I don't know why she would have resigned." I was thinking, what will this new woman be like? Nice or demanding? Old or young?"

I was almost finished with my visit when "Susan" came into the room to introduce herself. Right away, she seemed warm and personable. One of the student anesthesiologists peeked his head into the room to ask me about a particular dose of one of my medications. Susan immediately began telling stories about patients she had met. She said, "I was making my rounds trying to meet all of my new patients. I asked one patient what medicines they were taking and they responded by saying, "Oh you know, the pink one! " She said, "No, I don't know what medicine you're talking about, I don't see what the medicines look like, I just prescribe them."

We all shared a laugh over that. At this point, I was tired, ready to make the long trip home. What I didn't realize was, that was going to be a while. You see, Susan was a talker. She proceeded to ask me what my major was and where I went to school. I responded as politely as possible after a two hour doctor's appointment. I also told her I want to minor in Spanish, but that's not possible at this point." She said, "Oh! Oh! being bilingual is SO good." She talked and talked and finally she said, "Sometimes I talk so much I have to stop myself." She could hardly get a breath in between sentences she talked so fast, but at least she was interested in getting to know me as a person and not just a chart number.

Finally, she ended the conversation, and we got out of there. It was a long day.

Comments

BK said…
Sounds like a winner you have there. I love it when they try to get to know you and do more than merely grunt!
Meg said…
haha! At least she was interested in you. Sometimes I feel like doctors are always in too big of a hurry.

I'm so sorry about your friend, that's tragic.

Popular posts from this blog

Memories Rewind: Granny’s Clothesline

New URL

Freewriting Day 19: Tangled Web